HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Genheimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:03:13 -0400
Sorry to jump into this discussion late, but just wanted to add this point.  I conducted extensive excavations of Hemingray Glass Company in Covington, Kentucky in the late 1980s.  Hemingray, originally a Cincinnati glass company, moved to Covington, Kentucky (directly opposite Cincinnati) in the early 1850s.  After a number of disastrous floods in the 1880s, Hemingray began to move its operations to Muncie, Indiana by the early 1890s.  We recovered thousands of insulator fragments, and opened a large and deep unit into the deep wasters, and never encountered any red glass.  Nine colors were indentified, including amber, but no one would ever confuse that with red.  So, if Hemingray made red glass insulators they must have done it at Muncie.

Bob Genheimer
George Rieveschl Curator of Archaeology
Cincinnati Museum Center
1301 Western Avenue