From:
Kellie Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 07:32:54 -0800
If my daughter were in this situation, I would not beat my head against a wall trying to change the system. I would be most concerned with her completing her education and caring for her baby.

  By this I do not mean she should not breastfeed, nor do I mean that the system should not be changed. But, if the uphill battle is going to take a huge toll on the teen, there are other options that can be pursued. She can homeschool for the remainder of high school. She could take her state equivalency exam and just go on to college (Community Colleges accept this as high school completion, at least in my state, California). Some continuation high schools are geared toward the needs of young mothers, but I have no idea what kind of cirriculum they offer. They may be more focused on vocational ed than college prep, but I really don't know. If she opts to homeschool, she can take rigorous courses that will put her in a position to apply for a top tier college, especially if she has good scores on her SATs. Also, if she homeschools or just moves on to a community college, she would have more time to be with her baby. Yes, she would miss out on the social aspects of the
 remiander of high school. It's easy for me (as an adult) to poo-poo that issue, but for a teenager, that could be a big deal.

  Just a thought.

  Kellie Whitney