From:
Kellie Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 15:25:23 -0800
I have mixed feelings about this as the ideal. On the one hand, mothers having the knowledge and experience of a great LC available is certainly a great thing. On the other hand, does this "ideal" not imply that breastfeeding may be a difficult and complicated practice, frought with potential problems at every turn for most mothers?

  I know so many mothers who breastfed successfully. Some did so with the help of a lay counselor, some just took to it naturally with a little advance reading on their part about positioning, and perhaps a breastfeeding class or two at their hospital (yes, I know that some of these classes are much better than others!). Some did need the help of an IBCLC for more complicated issues.

  Personally, I had no issues when breastfeeding my children, other than mild oversupply with my first, which was easilly managed with the help of an LLLL, and that I probably caused in the first place due to excessive pumping in the early weeks.

  Of course, I also know many mothers who would have benefited from the help of an IBCLC early on. They were recipients of terrible information from friends, family, and occasionally, medical professionals. However, most of their issues could also have been handled by a lay counselor.

  How about an LC for every pediatrician? How about more information on lactation from OBs suring pregnancy. It's nice when they tell mothers that "if" they wish to breastfeed, they should go to a class or attend some sort of mother-to-mother support group. Even better would be a meeting with an LC as part of a regular prenatal checkup for all pregnant women. I'm not saying that MDs don't know what they are talking about...I don't want to open that can of worms again! I know many who are very knowledgable about breastfeeding. Of course, those are often the MDs who have an LC on staff or refer frequently to an LC.

  Kellie Whitney