From:
Alice Roddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 05:35:10 -0800
In Kelly’s report on her presentation to doctors about supporting

In Kelly’s report on her presentation to doctors about supporting
breastfeeding, she wrote:

However, I got a different story this morning from another professor...

So it started alright, he mentioned how physicians often give bad advice to

breastfeeding mothers and that should be improved, but then noted that some

women are "breastfeeding Nazis" who breastfeed to 3 or 4 years old.
But

something even more disturbing came up. He said the reason that the hospital

I am currently training in is not a baby friendly hospital is because they

refuse to comply with The International Code of Marketing of Breast milk

Substitutes. "They give us $300,00-400,000 in formula and tube feeding.
What

should we do? Pay for it? That is 6 nurses we would have to fire. Plus, when

talking about monetary savings of breastfeeding- that is to society, not our

institution."

My imaginary follow-up comment to this is, “Would you be
willing to put that in writing and go on the record as placing savings to the
hospital above the health of the patients who come here? How many of this
hospital’s patients understand that their well-being is secondary to monetary
concerns? Would they continue to come here if they understood that? I’m asking
these questions because I see an ethical dilemma that I doubt you’ve examined.”

Alice Roddy
Breastfeeding is the biological norm for infants. It is a relationship that provides food, connection, protection from illness to the baby and stress reducing hormones to the mother.