From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:11:31 +1100
What is not made clear in the abstract or article discussing this paper is
that while antioxidant level decreases in breastmilk with time and
antioxidants in infant formula does not change the level of antioxidant in
breast milk remains higher than that in infant formula over the course of
the time period used in this study. I think that the abstract and press
releases were very misleading.

I think we all know that breastmilk direct from the source is ideal but
where that is not possible previously expressed breast milk will do the job,
even where properties of the milk have changed because of storage (and no
doubt more than anti-oxidant level changes). There is no evidence that this
makes a significant difference to the health of the child.

Karleen Gribble
Australia

> Refrigerated or Frozen Expressed Breast Milk Loses Its Antioxidant Content
> Description
> Freezing or refrigerating expressed breast milk for longer than 48 hours
substantially lowers its antioxidant content, reveals a small study.