From:
Liz Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:25:15 -0500
According to Sheila Humphrey's "The Nursing Mother's Herbal," arnica
montana, can be readily taken internally as a homeopathic remedy (p. 182).
Her plant appendix lists it as a toxic plant if taken internally (p. 275),
but there, she is discussing ingestion of infusion oil, or plant parts --
not the teeny tiny amounts in a homeopathic pill.

Arnica is one of my all-time favorites, and the surgeon recommending its
homeopathic use before and after a procedure gets a real thumbs up in my
book.  I gave it to my 13 y.o. daughter who got four teeth pulled -- no
swelling or bruising, although she did have pain that first day that
required acetaminophen.  A friend used it before her own major oral surgery
-- at her two-day post-op check, the dentist marvelled at a mouth that
looked like it had been on the mend for seven days, not two.

I used to carry a tube of arnica gel in my diaper bag -- it is homeopathic
in strength, but comes in a colorless, odorless gel.  Perfect for all those
toddler bumps and bruises.  It will prevent or reduce a black eye, too.  My
15 y.o. son got a horrid concussion -- raised a literal goose egg on his
forehead within seconds.  I made him rub arnica gel on it as we sped to the
emergency room.  He had a lump for several days, but never did get a bruise.
  (Frankly, I think he would have preferred the attention a black eye would
have brought.)

P.S.  Do not apply arnica gel to broken or bleeding skin -- just those ouchy
bumps.

Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC
Wyndmoor, PA, USA