Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:55:08 EDT

In a message dated 10/27/2005 6:35:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

We are held  under such scrutiny by our superiors to the deeds and words that
may put them  in financial risk if the unthinkable were to happen, lest
they(the hospital)  be
sued.

Dear Friends:
    What a crazy world it is.
    Have parents ever sued a hospital if their child  gets diabetes which can
be triggered by that "just one bottle" of human milk  substitute?
    Have parents ever sued a hospital because their  iatrogenically (induced)
premature infant ended up in the intensive care  nursery? Or readmitted for
hyperbilirubinemia because the mother wasn't taught  that her premature infant
needed a different breastfeeding approach than a term  infant?
    The diseases (including SIDS) that are associated  with artifical feeding
are legion. Are hospitals ever sued for promoting  artificial feeding? For
giving out free samples? For doing a myriad of things  that are not evidence
based, separation of mother and infant being but one?
    Yet mothers aren't supposed to be taught about safe  bedsharing? As the
evidence shows that about 75% of all babies (both breast  and artificially fed)
spend some time in their parents beds (according to  research quoted by Linda
Smith), then we certainly need to be teaching parents  about safe bedsharing,
just as we teach them about carseats.
    warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com