From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:18:09 -0700
Gwen, this is tough because it makes no sense to
balance information about the normal course of good
health with information about how to systematically
undermine the lifelong health of an infant too young
to give consent.....  (I won't even touch mom's
health, or the relationships affected...)  It's
especially tough because "the public" has no idea this
is being asked of you!

The question is clouded by current and changing
cultural perceptions of "appropriate" infant feeding.

Seems to me your best bet is to include websites that
give accurate information about breastfeeding while
recognizing that some parents, once informed, will
choose to formula feed.  Some will undoubtedly think
that such websites are "slanted" toward bf.  Well,
that's just a glitch in "current and changing"
cultural thinking.

I'd be interested to see website suggestions that
offer practical info on bottlefeeding against an
understanding that breastfeeding is normal, but
individual choice and circumstances sometimes lead to
alternatives.

I once had a conversation about this with a local
librarian who said libraries with public funding must
protect "free speech."  It's an interesting issue, and
I think there is a difference between purchasing
material requested by the public and making
recommendations to the public on health issues.  I
remember one issue this librarian and I were
discussing was whether the library should be expected
to circulate any materials "donated" -- the materials
in question were breastfeeding videos "donated" by
formula companies!  My, my.  They even came with
samples, no not of human milk...  No one was
"donating" educational videos by independent lactation
professionals so these were the only materials
available through the city library system at the time.
 It was interesting because this meant the library was
promoting brand recognition and formula
supplementation (directions included in video).

One tricky thing about offering a "balanced" view of
breastfeeding vs artificially feeding is that you
might easily find yourself marketing products, not
information, with the latter.  Does your library have
policy to guide you regarding the marketing of
specific businesses/products rather than info?  Maybe
you can take a fresh look at your guidelines, and
their interpretation.  In our library system,
individuals in the community have input into policy.

Lucky for them, I'm here!

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA