From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 16:12:32 +0200
I'll try again.
I don't have a problem with Medela funding research, actually.  I do have a
problem with them promoting their own equipment in the context of a research
conference, as though their own claims about their own pump should have the
status of independently acquired evidence about the efficacy of their pump
per se OR relative to any other pumps on the market.

When I look for information about the relative efficacy of a drug, I don't
just ask the manufacturer (and patent holder) and leave it at that.  I like
to see evaluations done by disinterested parties, because I have an
old-fashioned notion that these are less likely to downplay the drawbacks
and overstate the advantages of the drug.  The same goes for equipment.  I
don't just ask the car manufacturer to tell me why their car should be my
preferred choice of wheels - I want to know how it compares to other cars,
and I want that comparison to have been done by someone whose livelihood is
not dependent on my choice.  Likewise for pumps.  It's FINE for Medela to be
actively involved in trying to find out how breasts work.  I draw the line
at what I have experienced as an unabashedly one-sided celebration of Medela
pumps, presented as an extension of a fascinating film about the lab where
Hartmann, Ramsay, et al work, and served up without the slightest disclaimer
that the info on the pumps was promotion, unlike the info about breast
anatomy and action during breastfeeding.

I will continue to recommend Medela products as I always have done, when
indicated, and they are certainly more palatable to me than the products of
non-code compliant companies, of which one is very active in Norway (Avent).
I stand by my previous posts on the role of the sponsor in presenting
research.

Rachel Myr
Who would love to see someone fund a study on the most effective way to
teach manual expression, for places where pumps can not be used safely
Kristiansand, Norway