From:
Renee Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2005 22:49:44 EDT

In a message dated 5/30/2005 9:26:07 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

This mom  works at one of the Adventist Hospitals  as a respiratory
therapist.

I'm sure I can get more info if needed.  Is there anyone in  Florida who
knows

more about the laws ther or  what recourse this  mom may have?

While I  work in California, where the laws DO protect  pumping moms, and as
I work for a very pro breastfeeding hospital, I know that I  am still looked
upon "unfavorably" by some in my own "nursing" profession. (you  would think
they would be most supportive).  The only times I pump are on  my law given
right to break.  2-15 min breaks and 1 1/2 hour break.  I  leave my pump plugged
in where I pump (the OB doctor lounge..you know where they  sleep while the
nurses actually help the laboring patient until the doctor is  called to
catch--but that is another issue lol)  I have everything set up,  so that all I have
to do is lift my shirt and pump.  I always get 10 of the  15 minute break to
actually pump. The other 5 is spent cleaning up and preparing  for the next
session and getting back to work.  I Pump  the full 1/2  hour break during
lunch-gotta love the relaxing hormone, I feel soo refreshed  when I head back to
work.  When I applied to the OB dept and was passed  over (again another issue
lol) I asked if anyone had heard anything negative  about my job performance,
when trying to understand why I was passed over.   The only "negative" thing
anyone had to say, was that I "was always gone  pumping".  I curtly informed them
that I NEVER took more than my alloted  breaks and at least I was doing
something much healthier than those who took  "smoking" breaks constantly.  They
laughed and had to admit I spoke the  truth.  Back when I had my now 5 1/2 year
old, the law wasn't a law  yet.  I went in with an, "I will pump...and you just
try and stop me"  attitude.  Granted at that time, I had to pump in the
report/lounge  room.  People walked in and out all the time.  I am not a shy
person,  but was respectfully modest and learned how to pump discreetly.  At first
there were a lot of red faces (theirs not mine) and stuttered, "Oh I am sorry"
 etc.  But as time went on, they would walk in and just say, Oh Renee is
just pumping again. I like to think that some of the stigma was erased with
those coworkers and that they eventually became pro-breastfeeding with  me.   I
urge this worker in FL to take a stand and become the trail  blazer for other
moms who work for this hospital.  I don't know what type  of pump she uses, but
I have learned how to make the Medela set work very well  being held in my bra
for hands free pumping.  I get lots of charting done,  and makes my time even
more efficient.  Good luck to her.

Renee Drake RN CLC
(in process of becoming a LLL leader applicant-goal to be a  leader by
October area conference-wish me luck!!)