From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:30:35 +0000
Elisa,
First I don't think this is at all off topic. Glad you posted it.
I think the course should mainly focus on what I would call 'breastfeeding
management.' Nurses really really need the hands on skills to assist normal
mother/infant dyads. They need to have a focus on normal, which is the Baby
Friendly framework of skin to skin, rooming in, continuous unrestricted bf.
They need to know positioning and latch, prevention of problems, and then
special situations can come later like tongue-tie, cleft palate, premies,
etc. This is the area where a lactation consultant would come in but the
staff nurse still needs a background and generalist interventions for this
population.
Not sure what text you would use, Riordan and Auerbach comes to mind, it is
setup like what a nursing student would be familiar and used to. You could
also use featured articles for certain topics. Good luck.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA