From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 05:58:02 +0000
Speaking from a USA perspective here:

I appreciate Gail's comments on this thread. She explains about "the same
message repeated over and over and over and over tends to take on a life of
its own" and about salespeople in suits. However, nowadays there is too much
information about breastfeeding available to the general public and to the
physicians in journals. (Entire journals devoted to the subject - peds
journals, in the past NAACOG, perinatology journals, etc). There are
lactation consultants in many many hospitals repeatedly sharing information.
There are surgeon generals reports and DHHS Blueprints. There are Healthy
People 2000 and 2010 Goals, there are ACOG and AAP policies and conference
sessions and more.

Doctors who do not promote, protect, and support breastfeeding are doing
something unethical, in my opinion. I really think they need the business
(sick children), and/or are getting some perks from the formula companies.
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I've seen it too many times.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA