From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:50:21 EST
Dear Friends:
    I got a sample of a new magazine that I can give to my clients. It is
called New Parent. It is basically a collection of advertising mixed in with a
few articles. It is not WHO-Code Compliant, to say the least.
    The advertising is not really a surprise. Lots of different types of
bottles, some 'advanced' formula. There is also a section about treating colic.
    One goal, according to this article is "To Avoid Feeding-Related
distress". Ways of doing that are to consider a one-week trial of hypoallergenic
formula or of dairy elimination for mom, remove caffeine from the nursing mothers'
diet, space feedings at least 2 1/2 hours apart (from beginning to beginning)
and longer for babies weighing more than 10 pounds. Healthy infants should
feed at least every 4 hours in the daytime. Limit feedings to 30 minutes.
Decrease distractions and keep the infant awake during feeding. Avoid using breast or
bottle as a pacifier." Can you imagine the impact of some of these on the
exclusive breastfeeding relationship? What breastfeeding friendly publication can
be distributed for free to pregnant couples across the USA and have the same
impact?
    This makes me so sad.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CCE, craniosacral therapy
Adjunct faculty, Union Institute and University, Maternal and Child Health:
Lactation Consulting
Supporting the WHO Code and the Mother Friendly Childbirth Initiative