From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:10:01 -0600
On 9/18/03 7:59 PM, "Dee Kassing BS MLS IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Diane,
>      You wrote: "Now if we can just get the "F-word itself introduced..."
>      I am wondering, do you mean as in "If a woman uses formula, it raises
> their risk of ovarian cancer and breast cancer."?  In a class on advertising,
> they taught not to use the "competition's" name because that put *that*
> word/name/idea in the audience' mind.  The only word/name/etc. you want to use
> in
> advertising is the name of the thing you *want* the audience to use.  If that
> theory is still in use in the advertising field (and it might not be, times do
> change), then I think the wording of the statement is probably the better way
> to do it.  Also, I still come across so many people (I live in the Midwest
> [USA] and things are *so* slow to change here) who aren't comfortable using
> the
> words "breast" and "breastfeeding".  So if the word gets used over and over,
> such as in the statement, perhaps those people will become de-sensitized and
> more
> comfortable with the words.  Then, if they can hear the word without
> cringing, perhaps they would be willing to begin to entertain the idea of
> actually
> *doing* it?  Just some thoughts.
>      Dee
>
> Dee Kassing, BS, MLS, IBCLC
> Collinsville, Illinois, in central USA

Interesting thoughts, Dee.

In the world of advertising, comparative advertising has generated some
controversy and there are some who believe the competitor's name should
never be used.

However, this is not a prevailing view and the research base shows many
benefits to comparative advertising. In fact, formula companies use
comparative advertising all the time - the classic check-list ads.

There other complexities - for example, people respond differently to the
underdog's comparative ad vs the market leader's ad. If you are interested
there is a good bibliography of research on this subject at the University
of Texas Advertising Department research website:
http://advertising.utexas.edu/research/biblio/Comparative.html

I'm not sure how much of the above is applicable when it comes to general
communication of risks vs benefits.

-- Jodine Chase