From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:26:01 -0600
On 9/13/03 6:11 PM, "Naomi Bar-Yam" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> I'm looking for any material, biblio, articles about the use of breastmilk
>> as part of a treatment for cancer in children or adults.  You can either
>> post to the list or email me privately.
> Please post to the list. I am interested as well, as I'm sure others are.
> I looked into this once about a year ago, and as far as I could find,
> there
> isn't much out there on this topic.
> Thanks,
> Naomi Bar-Yam

As some of you know, I relactated in order to provide breastmilk for my
husband when he was diagnosed with brain cancer. Women in my community also
donated fresh and frozen breastmilk. There were three main uses for
breastmilk for my husband: nutritional; as support for his innate immune
system; and possible action against tumour cells. My husband died in July.
He gained great benefit from breastmilk during several bouts of uncontrolled
nausea and vomiting. (He also felt tremendously loved and nurtured, and of
course there is great benefit in that.)

I continue to collect information about the use of human milk in cancer
treatment.

I came across this just a few days ago - note the reference for donor milk
for some adult cancer patients.

> J Hum Lact. 2000 Aug;16(3):235-6.     Related Articles, Links
>
> A year of remarkable growth for donor milk banking in North America.
> Tully MR.
> Lactation Center and Mothers' Milk Bank, WakeMed, 3000 New Bern Avenue,
> Raleigh, NC 27610, USA.
> In 1999, approximately 322,700 ounces of milk were processed and distributed
> by the 7 member banks of the Human Milk Banking Association of North America.
> One new bank opened, and 2 medical centers in the United States are
> considering opening donor banks. The majority of the recipients were preterm
> and sick infants, but milk was also ordered for older babies and for children
> with a variety of medical needs, including metabolic disorders, severe food
> allergies or feeding intolerance, short gut syndrome secondary to necrotizing
> enterocolitis, growth failure on formula, and intractable rotavirus, and
> during chemotherapy for cancer. Donor milk was also ordered for adopted
> infants who did not have medical problems and for some adult cancer patients.
> Member banks serum screened 770 potential donors. One donor was excluded for a
> positive Hepatitis C test, and 3 were excluded for positive HTLV results.
> Further confirmatory tests were negative for these 4 potential donors.
> PMID: 11153160 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I have not come across much in the way of actual research involving the use
of breastmilk as part of treatment support for cancer patients, although I
have seen a number of references to human donor milk being used in this way.
However, research showing the efficacy of breastmilk as a treatment for a
variety of conditions would be transferable to treating adult cancer
patients with similar conditions.

With regard to breastmilk as a treatment for cancer - there is the HAMLET
research underway:

Lund University description of research project:
http://www.mig.lu.se/svanborg/hamlet.html

June 1999 Discover magazine article on HAMLET:
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1511/6_20/55926784/p1/article.jhtml?term=

For your interest, here is a web site run by a man with prostate cancer who
uses breastmilk to control his PSA levels:

http://www.cohensw.com/mvpcsg_nov99_text.html

-- Jodine Chase