From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 09:17:18 EDT
In a message dated 5.8.03 10:31:31 PM, Linda writes:

> <<I am working with a mother who has a baby with Down Syndrome.  Baby is not
> feeding directly from the breast but we are working on it.  The problem is
> that the baby is not growing well in spite of adequate milk intake.
> Mom's supply is well ahead of baby and I was mulling over an idea to
increase caloric content of the milk.  Dr. Wight has said in the past that
the protein is very important for growth so I am not thrilled with just
skimming and using more fat because the protein is in the skim.>>

At the risk of telling you something you already know, the need for increased
protein r/t growth is for premature infants.
Was this baby a premie?   If not,   I would concentrate my efforts first on
getting the baby to breast and second on increasing the fat ingested.
Depending on how well the pump is working for *her* in terms of emptying,
perhaps discarding the first few minutes of pumped milk and/ or pumping only
1 breast per feeding for an extended period (if the supply is very high)
would be all that is needed to boost that calorie content.
There is a wonderful LC from the Boston area named Rosemary Peterson whose
8th child had Downs whom she brfed quite successfully. My guess is that she
would be very happy to provide support to you and/or the Mom in question.

Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts