From:
Sherry Weersing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:05:20 EST
   Dear Laura,
   Re:challenge. I had a similar situation with a baby with CP like tone,
some sort of condition that runs in the family but has never been directly
identified by genetisists. Though this baby was a newborn when I was working
with him and his mom so don't know if this will be any help. Mom is a nurse,
knew at birth that this baby had this condition and worked with him all day
to get him to breast without any success. On top of it all she had a severe
inner ear infection and was dizzy and vomiting at the same time. When I came
in she finally told me she hadn't been able to get him to breast. We tried
every postion there is, finally had success with her laying flat on her back,
him across her chest coming straight down onto the nipple (with her leaning
over every now and then to vomit). After that she was able to get him on
herself and after waiting a couple of extra days for her milk to come in,
went on to nurse him for over six months. He is now 7 seven years old and
just standing up in a walker but is many times the progress of her nephew who
is a teenager and bedridden. She feels very strongly that her ability to get
him to nurse has influenced some of his progress and his ability to do things
that no one ever thought he would. It certainly kept him healthier than he
would have been, as soon as she introduced formula he started getting ear
infections and colds.
  Maybe that type of position would allow your guy to do his own thing
without feeling like he was being forced, or at least he could explore at his
own pace, with maybe mom expressing now and then to give him a taste of milk.
Just an idea
Sherry Weersing RNC