From:
Sherry Weersing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 02:08:58 EDT
Christy, I had a mom almost 2 years ago who very early in her pregnancy that
she was carrying a child with a severe encephalocele who, if she survived
birth, would likely die immediately afterwards. They chose to carry her as
far as they could, which ended up being to term, had a c-section and roomed
in with her their entire stay. She wanted to breastfeed and was talked out of
it by everyone, including, sadly to say, myself. I followed and still do
follow this mom for bereavement counseling and the baby, against all odds
lived for a full year. I regret my part in dissuading her from trying to
breastfeed, I think she would have been fine with it and felt like she was
doing more for the baby. They were an incredible young couple and it would
just make you melt to have seen them all cuddled up on the sofa bed in the
suite of the hospital room. Let the mom do what she feels is right, keep in
touch with her and support her. Though this mom has never said that she had
regrets about not pushing to breastfeed, I certainly do, I think she was
overwhelmed by the situation and we used our "knowledge" wrongly. Sherry
Weersing RNC