From:
Denise Altman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:30:39 EDT
The subject of membership is of interest to me as well.

I know that ILCA isn't the only professional organization having problems
increasing their numbers. In the nursing field alone, other organizations in
specialties such as Orthopedics, Surgery, Cardiology, OB/Gyn and even the ANA
are all seeing a lack of new blood/returning members. As a hospital nurse
educator (hat #2), I encourage staff to belong to their organization in order
to stay current in their field-especially since hospitals aren't paying for
workshops, etc., anymore. However, very few nurses are doing this without
being rewarded. In addition, with the nursing shortage, nobody is allowed
time off during the workday to attend meetings.

Personally, I have seen an improvement in ILCA over the last few years. I
feel like I get good value for the fee (yes, I do have to budget for it-I
can't just whip out the checkbook) just from the website and JHL alone. I
very much enjoyed the conference this year and will attend more in the
future. Maybe ILCA leaders could network with other organizations who have
improved their member numbers and get some idea's about what worked for them?
As a member, I would certainly support and try to assist with this myself if
needed. I would love to see more LLL Leaders and MD's involved so that ILCA
is well rounded and promoted for all aspects of breastfeeding support.

I agree with Naomi, more members means more strength which benefits everyone,
especially our mama's and baby's.

Denise Altman, RN, IBCLC, LCCE
Columbia, SC