From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:25:29 -0500
Alexis tell us about a mom who works in an office with an open floor plan which means no partitions or anything.  The women in this office who are pumping breastmilk, pump at their desks despite the fact that they have a room dedicated for this purpose upstairs.  Your description reminds me of the
WHO/UNICEF video: Breastfeeding, A Global Priority.  This video is part of the materials called for in the 18 Hour Course for breastfeeding training.  There is video in it of women sitting in a room pumping.  One is hand expressing.  The other has a manual pump.  They are sitting side by side,
apparently unembarrassed.  Another W/U video shows a room in an apparently third world country where a bunch of premie moms (like a dozen or so) all pump their milk for their babies, and likewise breastfeed them sitting side by side.  Wow!  Is this a step forward (as in progress) or a step back (as
in before we became so 'cultured', women didn't give it a thought!)  Hmmmm....

Marsha, who was thrilled to see her home state (Indiana)  feature prominently in 'West Wing' this week (a U.S. weekly drama), and who also commented to her husband with glee last night,  "This will be all over Lactnet tomorrow" as we watched Friends' Rachel fit breastfeeding into her ...ummm...
'busy' (crazy?!) postpartum experience!  (Hadn't even meant to watch it, but so glad I did!)