Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:26:40 +0100
>  >TUMMY TO TUMMY,
>>CHEST TO CHEST,
>>NOSE AND CHIN
>>SHOULD TOUCH THE BREAST.

We usually say 'tummy to mummy'  as some mothers are a different
shape to others, and their babies cannot touch 'tummy to tummy'.

I agree with Diane - some breasts are very soft, and floppy, and the
nose might seem to touch them. Mostly, I look (and encourage mothers
to look) to see the nose is *not* touching the breast, as it can be
good sign all is well inside, and the baby and mother have ensured
the nipple and breast have entered the top part of the mouth. A nose
that's touching or buried can mean the latch is too central.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc , Newcastle upon Tyne UK