From:
Nancy Holtzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:32:20 -0400
Hi all,
It's my second day there, as promised, here is an update, again, none of
this info is set in stone, but here is what I gathered:

Recommended Length of Exclusive BF- will STAY AT SIX MONTHS.  Session
reviewed rationale, including developmental, psychological, oral motor,
oral anatomy, immunological, gastrointestinal, etc.  A session attendee
told me it did not cover preventing food allergy/sensitivity exposure which
I'd asked about.

Discussion on Vit D and BF Infants: seems the recommendation across the
board is going to be changed to give all exclusively breastfed babies 200iu
of Vit D daily after age 2 months.  The change is because of research that
shows increasing dx of rickets, and also due to the fact that research
regarding Malignant Melanoma is pretty clear now that NO AMOUNT OF SUNLIGHT
can be recommended for infants. Previously it has been said that (for
Caucasian infants), 30 min of sunlight per week for a baby only in a
diaper, or 2 hours/week of sunlight if dressed but without hat is needed
for adequate vit D synthesis. Infants with dark skin need significantly
more sunlight. Now the recommendation is to allow no direct sun exposure
(use sunscreens, etc), therefor the need for supplemental vitamin
D.  Infants of women with adequate vitamin D intake/sun exposure during
pregnancy will have adequate vitamin D stores until age 2 months, which is
why the recommendation will state 2 months as the time to begin
supplementing.  In Germany, apparently mothers apply the vitamin D oil
directly to their nipples prior to nursing!  The AAP Section for BF
anticipates this recommendation will cause a bit of discussion in certain
circles.

Iron- New studies show that a larger than previously thought number of
exclusively BF infants ages 4-6 months may need iron supplementation.  Will
try to get more info on that.

The Child Care  Center is supported from a grant by Ross Products/Abbot
Labs, provides 10-12 hours of child care daily for children ages 6 weeks -
12 years, for a daily fee of $10 per child.

Meanwhile, in the lactation lounge, I had over 50 visitors today!  The
Lactation room is sponsored by Medela and Pfizer.
The Symphony Pumps (Medela) I am trialling in the lactation lounge
have  been getting very positive reviews by it's users- efficient, easy to
use, moms say it "feels softer" on their breasts and nipples. It is super
easy to set up and run.  I have also had several women come in and use
their own Avent ISIS manual pumps with excellent efficiency.  For them,
like the ad says, it's just as effective as an auto-cycling pump, and they
are not constantly triggering the pump, either.  Perhaps these are women
with an easy let-down and flow rate.  Many of them also had positive things
to say about the "petals" on the flanges.

A pumping pediatrician from Texas told me the nurses in the hospital there
are telling mothers to eat Corn Meal Mush (or mash?) to increase milk
supply and asked me my opinion. I'm in Boston, I've never heard this
recommendation!  (we don't "do" cornmeal mush, we're Yankees...) Anyone
heard of this?

Anyway, that's my update.  2 days down, 4 more to go.
Nancy
Nancy Holtzman RN BSN IBCLC
Great Beginnings New Mothers Groups &
Boston Breastfeeds!