From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:22:46 +1000
I've got some questions about Domperidone. My knowledge of pharmacology
isn't great but I would like to understand the principles involved.

The first question revolves around when Domperidone should be taken. Since
it is a drug marketed to aid in digestion, package instructions usually
state that it should be taken 20-30 mins before eating. Is there any reason
to take Domperidone at a particular time in relation to eating if it is
being taken to increase prolactin levels, I've heard that taking it before
eating increases the absorption of the drug and therefore results in higher
prolactin levels than otherwise. Is this the case? What are the mechanisms
involved in this? I think if taking the drug in relation to eating is
important that that this is important information that women should have if
they are taking Domperidone but if it is tradition/folk lore than we need to
know that too. There appears to be some confusion about this and I'd like to
understand it myself!

The second question is just how much Domperidone gets into breastmilk when
the mother is taking it. I know that this would be in MMM but I'm afraid I
don't have it.

I'd appreciate the assistance of those that have expertise in this area.

Karleen Gribble
Australia