From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:20:13 -0700
Hi All

Allen Dick wrote:
I must also state that when I visited Lusbys I don't recall
seeing any drone brood, so my comments only apply to the
time I was there.  Maybe Dee will tell us what happens when
drones are being reared?  Do the mites get to build up a
bit?

reply:
This is why we watch the upswing and downswing of the honey
cycles and at times see the chewing out of varroa.

Nowadays it's mostly in the drone brood and not much of it
except in newly caught swarms building up and then those
that build combs good do fine and those that don't, well,
what can I say. . . some can and some can't. . . just like
people. Here you see varroa the worse for those that can't.
But nature soon gets rid of those as she plays no second
best.

But for the most part you must remember. We cull our frames
when building up our colonies to no more then 10% droner
cells on any one frame allowed to be built.

This encourages more drones in the colonies overall, and
also encourages chewing out of varroa.

But most important,it also extends the active year for
drone rearing both forward and backward by a good full
cycle of brood rearing or more.

Lastly, remember that those bees then that cannot keep
their men happy and healthy don't pass on the genetics.Bees
must take care of the drones to survive then!!

So yes we do have drones build up somewhat, have chewing
out more on downswings of flows mild or main, and also
happy healthy bees for Allen to come and see, with longer
wings even!

Chow

Dee-