From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 19:47:37 -0700
Hi all

Karen wrote:
Would not this be the usual state of all comb built in top
bar hives, where only a starter strip of wax (not
foundation) is used?  It should be a simple matter to open
up a few such hives (if anyone on the list has this type)
andphotograph this magical comb arrangement in the center
of the box.

Assuming of course that this is the "normal" and
"preferred" state of comb for "natural" bees, not forced to
live on manmade combs.

Reply:
I have done hundreds of cutouts over the years from
confined areas, especially bait hives, and right now I sure
wish the season was not about over. As it is I have been
watching those I have done since this discussion has begun
about swarms in confined areas, which I have already stated
to not orientate as those hanging freely.

Last night I cut out three, but the openings were to one
side for light in baskets. The bees built Y ups facing the
small light entrance, and Y down facing away from the small
entrance.

I haven't found any in my bait hives in the field to look
through augmentation with full frontal light, but I sure
will this coming season. I have put the word out to ranches
for hanging hives to call for removal. but the season is
late and known cut down.

If I had thought it would have been a problem I sure would
have had comb in hand. You just cannot snap you fingers at
end of season and get combs.

TBHs IMPOV with limited front entrances should position
combs like the baskets I would think with one light source.
Now one basket did have two small holes, but still towards
one side or 25% to one side and the combs instead of
centering back from one hole, centered and went back from
between the two holes. but wnet back with Y up to openings
and Y down facing in. I need to find cavity with light all
around and see how combs face, and right now I sure am
looking.

I know I will have a few to do this coming next season
hanging outside.Always do. Rest assured I will be back with
the facings on the combs. Until then right now I don't know
what to say. All I can say is talk away. In the end it will
be seen what is there.

Sincerely,

Dee A. Lusby