From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:11:31 -0800
Hi to all on BEE-L

Mike wrote:
 My question. Is this necessary, or even warranted? It
means a 100 mile trip. Maybe worth it if the results are
there. But, will I be leaving genetic material behind? In
the short run perhaps an isolated yard would be best, but I
have a feeling that if I saturate my area with good stock,
I would get good results. In the long run, would this not
be a better approach?

Reply:
If the long run you talke about is the area where you
normally work, then what ever results you get 100 miles
away would have to be repeatable, after being brought back
to were you are with the main body of your colonies
anyway.Looks like it would be best to stay home then with
your colonies and work it out concerning the chaulk. You
say you are getting good results.

A hundred miles away while you look for a solution, you may
also find another problem unforseen. Further would the bees
acclimitizing to both areas be the same? Something else to
consider. Would you have to change management slightly also
with the moved colonies and then have to change it back
when you bring them back?

If you are in it for the long haul, then do what you have
to do. I think you already know this route is best. So go
for it.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby