From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 23:41:48 -0400
There's (at least) two sides to every issue and I've been accused (rightly
so) of only seeing the glass "half-full" (see previous post). Since I
haven't seen this posted yet, I'd like to share my perspective - this is how
I've used the recent addition of DHA & ARA to formulas to illustrate to
parents how incomplete formula is by comparison to breastmilk.

"You've probably heard about the new stuff they're putting in some formulas
to make it seem more like breastmilk. It's genetically engineered from algae
to copy something that's always been in breastmilk. There's some evidence
that it may play a part in the IQ difference between breastfed babies and
formula fed babies. There have been several studies showing that breastfed
babies have higher IQs than formula babies - it's probably between 8 - 11
points. Well, I guess I should say that formula babies have lower IQs
because after all, babies were meant to breastfeed. What's really
interesting is that the two big formula companies don't even agree that the
stuff is necessary - the one just did it because the other was doing it.
Moms have told me it's about $2 per can more. They aren't changing all the
formulas to include this - they have just added it to the line-up. With all
that going on, it doesn't really sound like they really have your baby's
best interests at heart, do they? Thank goodness your breasts do! It's
funny, you'd think that just putting stuff in formula would make it the same
as breastmilk, but it doesn't. For example, the iron in breastmilk is well
absorbed -about  50% - but of the iron in formula is poorly absorbed - only
5% - that's why they have to put so much in the formula. And besides that,
all the antibodies and immune protection and such that you make just for
your baby and what he's exposed to can never be duplicated and put in a
can... that's probably why the formula fed babies tend to be sicker than the
breastfed ones. Yes, your breasts really know what they're doing..."

Calling it like I see it in York, PA. [rose colored glasses and bucket in
hand]
Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC