From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 19:45:48 -0400
Jeanette writes:
> A mom stopped me to ask about her 19 month old little girl who had
recently
> (last 2 months) developed breast buds.  Her pediatrician is blaming it on
> breastfeeding and told her to wean so that they can see if that is it.
>  (When in doubt - blame the breastfeeding).  If not, he tells her he would
> start checking the baby for tumors in the ovaries.

This is called "Premature Thelarche"
It is NOT from breastfeeding.
---From Current Pediatric Diagnosis & Treatment Edition 12 - Lange Medical
Book:
"Premature thelarche - benign early breast development - occurs most
commonly between 12 and 36 months of age. It is most often bilateral but may
begin or remain as unilateral breast development. Breast enlargement
generally occurs for1-6 months, then remains as Tanner II-III. In the
absence of other signs of pubertal development (ie. no change in growth
rate, pubic hair, or vaginal maturation) no laboratory evaluation is
necessary. Treatment consists of reassurance regarding the self-limited
nature of the problem."

So if no other signs of puberty - no tests are needed.
Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC