From:
Catharine Decker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 07:22:40 -0500
When I was pregnant with my first child early in my medical residency, I was offered some samples of formula by the formula rep, 'just in case'.  Even though I planned to breastfeed, I knew I would be pumping milk after returning to an extremely busy schedule and I lacked confidence that I would be able to keep up an adequate supply to meet all the baby's needs.  A few samples of formula might come in handy, I reasoned.  The rep advised that I should use low-iron formula b/c the fortified stuff 'would be constipating for a baby used to breastmilk'.

Much to my utter astonishment, a few weeks after I agreed to the samples, a truck arrived at my apartment carrying what looked to be about a years' supply of low-iron formula.  Cases and cases of the stuff!  I couldn't believe it.  It would easily have cost hundreds of dollars to purchase.  None of it was ever consumed by human infants either.  I never used the stuff and couldn't donate it to a food pantry b/c it was low-iron.  Ultimately, it wound up at the local humane shelter where they use it to supplement kittens when they can't afford kitten formula.  Several lessons were learned through this experience.  Formula gifts are a much *bigger* issue than I ever imagined.  The formula companies invest a lot in giving gifts to doctors
and other healthcare professionals and they most assuredly don't have anyones' best interests at heart but their own.  Their gift would have made it very easy for a busy doctor in training to give up breastfeeding altogether.  And never mind that low-iron formula isn't recommended for anyone...

Catharine Decker, MD