From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:52:31 +0100
BF pillows can be used incorrectly, like anything else.
I've seen plenty of cases like the ones Cathy describes, where baby on
pillow is so high up that mother must lift her breasts up to baby.  Baby
ends up having to hold breasts in position by suction, with expected
results.

No device is a substitute for competent help, as Kathleen Bruce has said.
This is valid no matter what the device.

Sometimes I wish the contraptions were available by prescription from a
dedicated LC only!  When pillows are sold in stores by people with no
experience helping mothers to BF and no interest in BF success, it is no
surprise that the help is lacking.  It is more discouraging when the
hospital staff tosses a mother a pillow instead of helping her.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway
where we have BF pillows in the hospital, in stores, by mail order, and
where we try to differentiate between those who may have a use for them and
those who do not.