Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:27:23 -0500
Here is an email I just got from a public health nurse:

"I have a breastfeeding mother who is now 17 days postpartum and who has
given her baby the vit D supplement  that is recommended for all breastfed
babies. Mom has found that the baby has colic like pains in abdomen  and
screams for up to several hours after being given supplement.
I advised mom to hold the supplement and try again  in a  day or two. she
did this and the baby had  the colic symptoms again. Otherwise baby is
feeding well, sleeping well. voiding and having seedy yellow bms. Mom is
concerned about the amount of Vit D baby is getting because we get so little
sun light here in Nfld in the winter. She wants to switch to formula
to make sure baby is getting the right amount of vit D.
I explained to the mom that there is Vit D in breast milk  and that she
could increase her intake of vit d by adjusting her diet but she is still
worried."

This is where the scare tactics are leading us, to yet another reason to
wean.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC