Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 07:52:54 EST
Just wanted to add my .2 cents, after doing much reading, and research and of
course the best study course of all was giving birth and bf'ing three times.
This time I was on meds DURING pregnancy and had to be on them after (still
on them now). I have been BEGGED by my dr's to NOT BF as it will cause great
damage to my already there nerve damage (neck/shoulder)~ I say it will cause
GREAT DAMAGE to my child and to me if we cannot be a BF'ing "couple". Just 2
weeks ago, I was told that if I continued to BF I would risk spreading my
damage into my other limbs. What kind of thing is THAT TO SAY? Hey, maybe I
am preventing a case of breast cancer, or ovarian cancer. This BF baby is
just thriving and so happy, WHY would a DR who is not even qualified to make
a judgment about BF'ing try to????? Cause this is the world we live in today!
I was told, "Kim, your child will still attend HARVARD BF or NOT, so start
giving him formula and get a break for yourself." Ok, now we all know about
the great benefit of BF'ing and what it does for the brain
:::::::SMILING:::::::::::The only DR who did not seem to give a Rat's behind
about what I was taking was the pediatrician! He just told me to go for it
and see what happens. Some medications DO not have ANY information on them as
far as BF'ing goes. I have just sort of timed my nursing's, but then I
stopped because I noticed NO DIFFERENCE in my baby whether I fed him AS I
took the meds or two hours later. He is healthy, only been sick once at 4
weeks of ag (he is 6 months now!). The only time he has projectile vomited
was when I have HAD to give him formula.

I think US mommies sometimes, (always ha ha) know what it is best. Someday,
it is my hope that the medical community will STOP dictating to mom's and
more of an intuitive relationship will evolve with mommies and babies. Isn't
that the most natural and best kind? So, whenn I read the comments about a
drink or two and BF'ing, I smile, as most mommies seem to figure this out and
realize that a drink or two now and again DOES Not seem to harm the little
one =)

~Kim