From:
Hans Aulmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:50:26 +0500
Tammy and Karen,
As you say in your E-mail that Mum knew the Needs of breastfeeding but
appeared to not acknowledge the benefits of breastfeeding BY Breastfeeding.
I had an incident a while back here. The young mum needed help to feed and
when I arrived Monday morning I was told Bub hadn't fed. I commenced my
prefeed technique in Broken English, Got the Baby latched with Ma-in-Law
overseeing! Bub was feeding beautifully and shortly after the mum signalled
me she was by herself- she said in Beautiful English, she was 'repulsed by
the thought and feel of Breastfeeding her baby'. She would be returning to
work in a Law office as soon as she could! For the Bub that would be
organised!! The baby was her husband's families idea and 'she carried it'
and she had seen her friends BF and Formulas feed- and the kids grew up OK
on formula and she didn't feel that she 'should waste all her training her
Parents had struggled to pay for' cause her Husband's family 'wanted a son'!

I pointed out the advantages of BF'ing for the baby, for her, for the Family
'adding the Blessing bit' and for the community. She wasn't interested as
she had made up her mind that as soon as she could He'd be bottle fed- Again
I told her the disadvantage in this environment. I don't think she cared.
Bonding was not going to be her strong point!
If it had been in Australia I'd been more accepting!
I was stumped for anything to do or say!

Robyn Aulmann RM
Quetta Pakistan