From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 10:11:14 -0500
When I had my last baby a year ago, I thought that getting away from
having babies weighed before and after each feed in the hospital the way
they did with my first (17 years ago) and not being jumped on when I
couldn't fill out the hospital chart (the way it happened with my twins
7 years ago -- I got confused about who was doing what, and actually
asked "what do I do if one was on the breast for two hours straight, but
not swallowing all that time?") we were making great progress.
Because I had a slow-gaining baby I compulsively filled out charts on
weight gain, calculating how much EBM I was supplementing, how much of a
weight gain she had over a week, two weeks etc. Because I was obsessive
and panicky. I took it into my doctor and she said, "So what you're
telling me is... she's gaining now?"
Yea for the laid-back approach.
But, yep, I'm still carrying my charts around. I don't know why.
Giving someone like me a Log would reinforce that horrible tendency I
have to believe that I have to prove that everything is O.K., and I
credit LLL with teaching me, gradually, that just looking at my
beautiful daughter is a better use of my time.
When I fill out my Leader Logs, I rarely find that the mother has much
trouble telling me how often the baby is being BF, how many bm's etc.,
if I need to know that. Many just rhyme off what's been happening that
day, hour by hour or even minute by minute, and I think that gives me
all the information I need. Plus, they get to talk about what they're
doing and usually we agree that boy, babies take a lot of time and it is
going much better than last week!