From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:32:51 +0200
I have been watching this thread with interest and must admit to feeling
most uncomfortable with the idea of logs/diaries for full-term healthy
babies.  This is probably my strong reaction to the "feeding charts" used in
hospitals here and the general acceptance that babies feed on a regular
schedule (usually 4 hourly!).

We are trying so hard to get mothers (and health professionals) to watch the
baby, trust their instincts, and not play the numbers game.   Some mothers
do keep their own notes, but with information and support, they usually have
the confidence to go on without it.

Recently I saw a mother  whose baby  was feeding frequently according to her
detailed chart - but on observation, no milk transfer was occurring!  The
baby was not stooling, but although the mother  had been informed about
baby's expected output, she was not concerned as baby was "feeding" often.
Nobody had told her about watching or listening for swallowing.

I never tell mothers these diaries are wrong or unimportant, but I usually
see it as a red flag for a woman who may not be comfortable with feeding on
cue.  I guess women are individuals and I need to understand that some may
need this in the early days.  Maybe I will need to consider providing an
appropriate form for those mothers who are "chart people"?  Looking forward
to more debate on this issue.

Jean Ridler   IBCLC  (Private Practice)  Cape Town, South Africa