From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:05:38 -0500
I didn't see any IBCLC involvement in the Dr Sears formula ad material.
There was plenty of breastfeeding information, a little of it good, much of
it borderline or slanted, much of it poor or outright wrong, all of it from
MDs or RDs or PhDs, and none from the people that specialize in
breastfeeding.  To me, this is evidence of a profession standing firm in
refusing to deal with industry.

As the IBCLC title is increasingly recognized - and it's getting there -
there'll be a gradual "dawning of light" that the breastfeeding info from
formula companies, since it doesn't come from IBCLCs is as likely to be
accurate as info on nutrition from your local shoe store.  But we need to
stand together on it.

Just now, as I was poking around on his and the formula company's sites,
something interesting happened.  When I first went to his site, "baby
formula" came up as his lead banner.  When I returned to the home page,
there was a delay in loading it, and "LLLI" came up as the lead banner.  Of
course, the lead banner on the "feeding infants and toddlers" page is still
formula, but apparently we're making some progress with him.

As Kathleen said, let's be gentle...

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com