From:
Kim Patrick Clow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:54:28 GMT
In the most recent issue of Grammaphone, I saw an advert that indicates
a new volume of the Haydn Symphony Cycle with Christopher Hogwood (on
Decca/London) is being released in August.  I was under the impression that
this cycle was tabled due to a lack of sales.  I was pretty saddened at the
time to hear that news since my investment in the cycle is not a small one
(each vol costs me about 60 dollars in US funds).

At the same time I heard about the Hogwood cycle of Haydn going "kaput",
I heard that Sony cancelled its series with Tafelmusick, and Hyperion
cancelled theirs with The Hanover Band.  Any one on the list have any
ideas why Haydn isn't faring well for a complete recording?

Here's an interesting tidbit: currently there is only still one
commercially completed cycle of Haydn Symphonies, and the only one ever
finished thus far: Antal Dorati's version on Decca.  And this is over 30
years old now.

I am aware of the cycle with Adam Fischer on Nimbus and have enjoyed it.
But not sure of its status as to compeletion.

Speaking of ongoing "complete recordings".  Naxos mentioned five years ago
a complete recording of all the Vivaldi Concerti.  This was in 1995/96.
Unless they plan on dumping about 75 cds, I gather they are way way behind
on their project.  Any one have info on that cycle?

Thanks.

Kim