From:
"K. Patrick Clow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 01:32:37 GMT
I am wondering if anyone on the list remembers a very enjoyable radio show
that was in snydication at least 20-25 years ago featuring a gentleman
named DeKoven.  He would feature music from mostly the Baroque and into
early Romantic period with very lively and very opininated commentary.

WGH FM would play the show on Sunday afternoon and it was just always a
treat to hear it.  He would describe music as OTU (Out of this Universe)
and OTW (Out of this World).  He despised most slow movements in baroque
music (they were too boring) and hated Berlioz (for some unknown reason).
He would often bemoan the fact that S.  Foster was the greatest musical
genius America produced, and would often play music by him to show that to
be the case.

Many years later, I happened to meet Ray Jones, who is the station manager
of WGH (currently now the station manager of WHRO FM in Norfolk.  Ray told
me that all the tapes of this radio show were sent to a high school station
in Chespeake Va, then sent to a warehouse not far from the Dismal Swamp,
where they turned into dust quickly due to heat and humidity.  DeKoven had
died a few years prior and his widow sent them to the school as a gift.

I was curious if anyone remembers this radio show.  I would hope maybe
someone would even have copies of it on tape.  It would be such a shame
to think that DeKoven's legacy is now just a pile of dust in Southeastern
Virginia.

Thanks,

Kim