From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:39:37 EDT
In a message dated 6/2/0 7:12:52 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Some of you know of my position on Reglan--negative.  In light of the
stories of depression that we have heard this past week, I urge LCs to not
take lightly the high risk of depression with the use of Reglan.  I know
that it does increase milk, but, for me, it comes at too high a price. Some
of us feel that the alternative (abm) is a greater risk to the health of
the baby.  I hate that we have to make this choice, but, having seen one
mother lose her emotional health *and* her breastfeeding relationship, I
don't recommend it. Rather, I inform my clients of the sources of
domperidone--Canada and Mexico--and let them make their choices and, of
course, recommend the herbs that I have found helpful.

Pat,
I learned this from Lactnet myself and am very grateful. I wrote about a
mother a couple of months ago who was taking Reglan (metoclopramide) and her
supply had not increased sufficiently. I was wondering about her continued
use of it and learned of the risks of depression (a big issue for the mom)
and of domoeridone. At first she decided to "let nature take its course" but
soon changed her mind and ordered domperidone from Mexico. Her milk supply
had never been established early on and her baby took quite a while to learn
to latch. The domperidone and herbs made all of the difference to her and her
baby is fully bf today at 3 mos.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA