From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 21:43:06 EDT
In a message dated 5/4/0 11:21:54 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< She then ended up coming back in at about 2-3 weeks
for sore, cracked nipples.  I felt like it was a good consult (the crack
was pretty deep) and I helped her.  I was concerned about the baby's
suck, it was very "jerky"  Things improved briefly, then seemed to get
worse.  She's at 6 weeks and the crack has just healed, but now she says
she has this internal shooting pain every time she feeds, and sometimes
it's nearly unbearable.  It lasts sometimes for hours after a feed, now
even pumping hurts, and she can't bear for anything to even touch her
nipples.  I thought it might be yeast, but when she saw her OB she told
her she didn't think it was yeast.>>

So, her OB doesn't recognize symptoms of yeast, what else is new? I don't
think it is *you* who is missing anything. I would give this mother accurate
info about yeast, in writing if necessary. She can always just skip the
poorly-educated doc and use gentian violet per Jack's handout.

<<  She's considering weaning (it seems like she's been asking me all along -
does it ever not work out?).  But she keeps telling me she really wants to
breastfeed and just isn't ready to wean, even though feeding always hurts.>>

Just about any mother with severe yeast would feel this way--it *really* is
painful. So, even though she has been asking about weaning, she may just get
over that if he pain went away. IMO, she needs treatment right away.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA