From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:30:08 -0400
Well, it takes me a while, but I picked up a copy of Parenting Magazine at
the osteopath's office, and read "The Breastfeeding Police."  Boy. That gave
me a WORSE pain in my neck than I had when I went in there. YUCK.

Here is my letter.

John J. Hartig, President and CEO
Parenting Magazine
1325 6th Ave.
New York, NY 10019
                                                June 21, 2000

Dear Mr. Hartig,

I recently picked up a copy of "Parenting," and read the article on
breastfeeding entitled "The Breastfeeding Police." I am surprised and
dismayed to read such a poor and breastfeeding professionals, including
LLLeaders and Lactation Consultants. I am truly disappointed at the dismal
quality of this article.

There are many health care professionals, lactation consultants, and
volunteer breastfeeding counselors who are well equipped to help new mothers
and those with breastfeeding problems without passing judgement.  I, as a
nurse, lactation consultant, and lay breastfeeding counselor have instructed
many mothers on bottlefeeding techniques and weaning strategies, without
judgement.  Your magazine tarred all of us who work with new mothers with a
very nasty stick.  There are occasional problems with all professionals,
doctors, lawyers, etc. Isn't it best to try not to give a global "dissing"
to entire professions, attributing some bad experiences to individuals and
not to an entire group. It is too bad that your magazine failed to represent
the truth about breastfeeding and those who assist new moms.

Your article gave breastfeeding a really bad rap, and probably will scare
off many mothers who really want to breastfeed but who will not try because
of fear. This skewed article amplifies their fear. I read beneath the lines
and see an author who probably either had breastfeeding problems herself or
who has a family member who had a bad experience.   It makes us all sorry,
and it is too bad that these things happen at all.  I do wish, however, that
she could have found a more constructive way to vent her anger than writing
such a vituperative, slanted, and downright nasty article.

How different it would have been to present a well balanced article,
mentioning the pitfalls, perhaps, and some positive things about
breastfeeding and some tips on where to get positive and professional
breastfeeding help.  To encourage would have been a gift. To present global
condemnation is a curse.

This time, you stepped outside the box, and abused the power that you have
as a magazine. You have responsibility to present fair and unbiased
information for your readers.   It is too bad that you let an author grind
her own ax via her pencil. The article was destructive.   Perhaps the
relationship your magazine has with formula companies has affected your
editorial judgement.  I hope you reconsider before printing another article
of this ilk again.

                                        Sincerely,                                                                              Kathleen Bruce BSN IBCL

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
Williston, Vermont, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblrv.html