From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 11:29:12 -0400
Good morning all. I've been a bit preoccupied helping my elderly mother move
into local affordable housing , a big move for a 76 year old woman. However,
I am reading with interest, and just a thought. I know that the person who
posted the job opening is probably curious about how her job posting has
generated a spin-off discussion that is worthwhile.

I also thought that the point of RN vs IBCLC has been well made.  It is
interesting how hard it is to effect change in systems that seem almost
incapable of it.  RN is a "safe" designation for hospitals. IBCLC is not,
yet, a safe or fully integrated credential, but we are all working  on it.

Thanks for making all of these very worthwhile points. I am a nurse, but I
fully admit that it has not contributed in a meaningful way to what I know
or do in my practice as a lactation consultant, and I stand with respect in
the shadow of my very knowledgeable and non-nurse peers, such as Barbara
Wilson-Clay, Kathleen Auerbach, Maureen Minchin, etc.  I think that we all
have a lot to learn from each other, and as we walk the paths, and continue
with respect and an open ear, we might catch something that we weren't aware
of before...from surprising sources.

Watching my bluebirds as the rain abates for a moment.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
Williston, Vermont, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblrv.html