From:
Tony & Val <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:06:49 +0800
I am wanting to clarify some infomation.  Have a mum who has been told by an
LC to feed her baby on one breast, empty that completely and then offer the
other. This I am OK with of course.  BUT, she was then told that should the
baby want a feed say an hour later, to feed the baby from the breast that
was initially offered if the baby had not taken the other side that was
offered.  (sounds very complicated but I am sure you know what I am on
about).  I have checked up on this and apparently this is what is getting
taught at the hospital which is in the town 54 kms away from the hospital
that I live near to and work at.  I am the only LC in my town but in that
town are 4 LC's and on quering the above, I have been shouted down.  Please
tell me honestly, after an hour, surely it is perfectly ok to have a fresh
breast.!  I mean I know all about lactose overload concerns and stuff, but
really.
Val Best
RN RM IBCLC
West Busselton, Australia