From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 22:43:32 EDT
In a message dated 4/12/00 9:20:13 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Went to my oncologist today for my first post-treatment follow-up visit.  I
mentioned being bothered by "hot flashes" and he handed me a one-page hand
out that reads:

HOT FLASHES

If you are suffering with hot flashed (sic) try some of the following
remedies:

I.      Vitamin E, 400 IU Twice a day
II.     Black Cohosh, Take as directed per package insert
III.    If needed add:
        1.      Siberian Ginsing and Gotukola
        2.      Red Clover

If the above are not effective, please report at time of next visit.
<snip>
Anyway . . . . I thought it was amusing for them to hand out recommendations
for black cohosh and tell you to use the package insert (!), and to just say
"add ginseng" and gotukola (whatever that is) and "add red clover."  Gee, I
think there's some of that growing out in the back yard!!  :)
Anyone care to comment?>>

Kathy,
He may have had other patients tell him these were effective for them, but
does not have enough basic knowledge to be more specific. I have one friend
who has recovered from breast cancer who supplied her oncologist w/ an
extensive list of exactly which holistic treatments she used. Her doctor now
passes this list out, as she was so impressed w/ my friend's recovery.
    I have watched w/ interest (and a good degree of dismay) during the past
10 years as mainstream medicine has begun to take notice of holistic
medicine. There are various responses, mostly, IMO, related to money. There
is so much money now spent on natural medicine that there is a move afoot to
co-opt it by the mainstream. Hence the use of terms like complimentary
medicine. Unfortunately, many practitioners and patients try to plug natural
treatments into their lives the way they would a new drug and find
unsatisfactory results. Most mainstream practitioners, in my experience, do
not have the frame of reference to understand holism and use it effectively.
There is also an arrogance from many practitioners who expect that they have
the right to judge natural medicines and therapies based upon their own
models. This is akin to breastfeeding on an artificial feeding protocol. IMO,
asking a mainstream practitioner to evaluate a natural medicine or therapy is
like asking the makers of artificial baby milk to evaluate breastfeeding.
They've tried to embrace bf for their own benefit and sought to become *the*
source for "feeding" information. Unless a mainstream practitioner seeks real
education *and* wisdom from holistic practitioners (eg--my family practice
doc has become certified in homeopathy), then I personally have no interest
in their opinion, nor would I trust it to be particularly helpful, except
perhaps by some lucky happenstance. (OTOH, those herbs could be quite helpful
to you!).
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA