From:
Rimantas Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rimantas Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 20:56:55 +0300
Dear Bee-L members

Some time ago I was asked to tell about the bee keeping in Lithuania. On 19.03.98. we had annual meeting of Kaunas beekeepers society. We had a guest the president of Lithuania beekeepers’ union Mr. J.Balzekas. He presented us some news.

The union consists of 44 departments (regional beekeepers’ societies) including 3421 member (50% of all country’s beekeepers) with total 41.000 bee colonies. Average bee density 1.5 colony per 1 square km. The best ratio is 3 colonies.

Dr. J.Balzekas declared his personal achievement in beekeeping: In 5 years period with 700 hives average honey yield 15 kg per colony.

67% of beekeepers hold from 1 to 10 colonies. It makes 33% of a total bee colony number.

31% hold 11-50 colonies, 50% of a total bee colony number.

4.2% hold 51-300 colonies, 25 % of a total bee colony number.

A beekeeper having 200 colonies can survive in Lithuania without additional job. The beekeepers are mostly elderly people.

Our honey is usually less contaminated if to compare with the western one. (An economic decrease before 3- 8 years.)

Annual membership fee 10 Litas (2.5 USD), much less than 1kg of honey.

In 1994 Lithuania entered “APIMONDIA” as a member.

Professor P.Karosas presented a plastic hive made under his drawing: 8 frames, all one size (“supers” i.e. a half of Dadant frame ), 6 boxes (advisable), queen excluder, a varoa mite grid on the bottom, feeder-sealing. A possibility to transform a hive to a bottomless. Price Apr. 200 Litas (50 USD).

A number of frames is optimized for bee wintering requirement.

I apologize for my delay. A simple reason: last time I’m very busy. Saving my time I get now only “Best of bee digest”. Therefore your questions should be sent directly to my e-mail box.

Best congratulations to the all List

Rimantas Zujus

Kaunas

LITHUANIA