ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jonathan stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:20:28 -0500

Oh! They Might be Giants have great songs about weather. Here are the lyrics
to an awesome song about the sun!

Why does the sun shine by they might be giants.

The sun is mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace,
Where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees.
Yo Ho it's hot, the sun is not a place where we could live.
But here on earth there'd be no life without the light it gives.

We need its light.
We need its heat.
We need its energy.
Without the sun, without a doubt, there'd be no you and me.

The sun is mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace.
Where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees.

The sun is hot.
[It is so hot that everything on it is a gas, iron, copper, aluminum and
many others.]

The sun is large.
[If the sun were hollow, a million earths could fit inside, and yet the sun
is still only a middle-sized star.]

The sun is far away.
[About 93,000,000 miles away, and thats why it looks so small!]
But even when its out of sight, the sun shines night and day.

The Sun gives heat.
The Sun gives light.
The sunlight that we see.
The sunlight comes from our own sun's atomic energy.

[Scientists have found that the sun is a huge atom-smashing machine. The
heat and light of the sun come from the nuclear reactions of hydrogen,
carbon, nitrogen, and helium!]