ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:28:27 -0500

I have been away from my computer all day and was not able to respond
to the messages as quickly as I would have liked. It has been a
fascinating discussion.

I won't belabor any of the many good points on both sides of the
issue, but I would like to make a couple of clarifications of things
I may have stated poorly based upon others responses.

1. I started these threads and I stated in the first post that the
author was one of the producers. I think I also implied or made
explicit that she certainly had her biases. I even pointed out at
least one flaw in the article and there are many more which were
either willful on the part of the author or a result of her political
or economic world view. ( I would argue that the biases of both the
author and the film as well as the biases of its detractors make this
film MORE attractive as subject of public discussion in our
institutions, not less. Especially given the popularity of the film
and Al Gore. If the film starred Marjoe Gortner and no one saw it,
why even consider screening it?)

2. While I brought up the point that many of our stores were likely
to sell this movie and asked whether there was a political/moral/PR
difference between selling the movie for profit or screening it/
giving it away as part of an education program, I never meant to
imply that anyone should charge money for something given to them for
free distribution to schools. I assume that we would all conform to
all applicable laws, regulations and ethics on this issue, not to
mention all relevant tax laws regarding political activity and
lobbying. (My guess is we would be even more strict with ourselves
than your average politically active church or Intelligent Design
"foundation" would be. Which puts science centers and museums at a
disadvantage in the public forum, but that's another debate for
another time)

Now that I have read the NSTA response, I have one quick reaction.

The statement did not address what I thought was the most damning
sentence in the article, which was that in the email "rejecting" the
DVD's (NSTA does not characterize it a rejection, so there is some
discrepancy here,) NSTA said it would place "unnecessary risk upon
the [NSTA] capital campaign, especially certain targeted supporters."

Note the quote marks. This means that these are represented as  the
NSTA's exact words. And it certainly sounds like the NSTA is making a
programatic decision based at least partly over concerns over
offending major funders. This to me is a serious issue. And I say
that as a Director of a program that is the beneficiary of large of
amounts of corporate philanthropy. Not only do I think this is a
dangerous precedent to set for one's institution, but by making the
response public the NSTA has made it even more difficult for those of
us who accept corporate money and in kind donations to defend
ourselves against accusations of being a tool of big business.

If the author misquoted NSTA or edited the response to make it sound
worse than it was (absolutely possible) it seems the NSTA would want
to get out in front of this. What they do say is....

"In the op-ed Ms. David goes on to characterize NSTA as a willing
corporate America partner that eagerly pushes corporate messages
about the environment.

This is not true."

and

"Before we accept any funds from outside groups (corporate or
otherwise), and as a condition of any support, we make it clear that
NSTA is solely responsible for developing, directing, and
implementing the programs we offer to teachers."

They then give some concrete examples.

This is a good thing. I am glad they do not let funders influence
content. But that is not what the quote I find so troublesome alludes
to. It seems to suggest that NSTA censors itself to some extent based
upon how a targeted funder may view it at a later date.

These are two different issues. The statement from NSTA addresses
active influence by a funder, but not the implied self-censorship the
quote suggests.

I would feel more comfortable with the NSTA if they addressed both
issues.

Matthew White