HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:33:08 +0000
Having an office in Woking (Surrey - it's London and down a bit), I'd
like H.G. Well's _War of the Worlds_ included in the bibliography.  This
might be 'Australia' and it might be 'elsewhere' (I can't remember
whether it's a myth that Wells was inspired by an account of the British
in Tasmainia).

Speculative fiction as a genre seems have exploration of culture contact
and the impact of colonisation as almost as part of its definition.  You
could pick any paperback with a spaceship on its cover ....  Two works
which I think are particularly interesting are LeGuin's _Rocannon's
World_ and Suzette Elgin's _Native Tongue_.  _Rocannon's World_ because
of where it comes from: it would be an interesting place to start
thinking about Other worlds.  It's also a nice introduction to multiple
voice, and lots of other concepts!  _Native Tongue_ because the author
is particularly good at exploring class and gender issues.  Both are
great books. I wish I could sit down and reread them both right now!

Best wishes to all

Pat

--
Pat Reynolds