HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:58:07 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest processor
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>BTW, the folks working on the Ludlow massacre project in Colorado gav=
>e an
>excellent symposium in Denver last week.  I strongly encourage everyo=
>ne to
>check out their work. Not only an interesting site, but a fine exampl=
>e of
>how we can take a politicized approach to our work, while making valu=
>able
>contributions to the field and the community.  It was thought provoki=
>ng and
>inspiring. I hear there's a web page, but I have yet to go there.

Could you let me know the url - or some more details so I can seek it
out?  I did a quick search, but had too many hits.

Do you know if they are following a methodology such as action research?
I'm just getting interested in that, from the twin directions of, on the
one hand, some community archaeology projects and community museums
here, and, on the other hand from being a reflexive practitioner.

Best wishes to all,

Pat
(My mine clearance story doesn't top trained squirrels, but suggests an
alternative approach from this side of the pond.

At Great Yarmouth (Norfolk coast) after the second world war, mines were
cleared from the beach by what the memos called the 'Poles and Buckets
Method'.  You took a bucket, tied two ropes to it.  One rope was held by
some Poles on the esplanade, the other by some Poles in a boat.  They
dragged the bucket up and down the beach between them until it was blown
up.  Most of the memos concerned the shortage of buckets.

Just thought that might come in useful if anyone ever digs up a bit of
exploded bucket!)
--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)