HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert L Schuyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 14:31:11 -0500
I have participated in the past in this discussion about SHA Annual
Meetings on this list and do not want to repeat those statements. I
would, however, underline three points.

        (1) The SHA Conference Committees have been doing a wonderful
job. SHA, unlike many other societies, has a well organized and enjoyable
meeting each year. Each year, of course, there are mistakes and it is
good to list them for the next conference committee(s).

        (2) SHA has open conferences. Anyone can and should be able to
give a paper. We do not select papers and relative to our size there is
no reason to do so. The meeting is run for everyone not simply a given
individual member. Once you have more than two concurrent sessions going
there will always be conflicts. It makes no difference if there are four
or six concurrent sessions except that it opens the meetings to all who
want to present papers.

        (3) The January slot is a continuing point of debate. However, I
suspect most SHA members like it as is. I would endorse most of what
Vergil had to say on this topic. If we do move, which will probably
be the result of a lost annual meeting (and we came close in Ohio), we
sould keep in mind that: (1) we will not be able to change the meeting
slot for a good three to five years because of prior commitments, (2) the
ideal slot is the Fall (late October into November) in regard to weather,
and (3) we must not run into the annual meetings of parallel groups (e.g.
the AAA).

        Finally, I also agree with Vergil that there is a shocking lack
of any discussion at the annual Business Meetings. Of course, most SHA
members attending the annual conference do not go to the Business
Meeting; however, it would not hurt to leave a good 30 min. for automatic
open discussion.
                        Bob Schuyler